This monument was constructed in 1813 in response to the fact that in the year prior, Spain had wrote its first constitution. In commemoration of this significant event, the country requested that all cities and territories construct a monument in honor of their document. The monument seen here is St. Augustine’s representation to the first constitution. Also the park surrounding the monument is also called Plaza de la Constitution.
St. Augustine was at one point the capital of Spain’s territory in Florida. In 1814, the constitution was overthrown and the monarchy was reinstated. It was ordered that all statues and monuments made in honor be destroyed but the city of St. Augustine insisted on keeping theirs intact. This action has left this monument to be the last one of its kind in the world.
The monument is open to visitors and is located in downtown St. Augustine in the middle of Plaza de la Constitution.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!