The Governor’s House in St. Augustine has served as a residence for notable figures over the past several centuries. The current building that stands today was constructed in the early 1700s. In its early years the building was the main center for the town. Not only was it the Governors House but also a courthouse and office building. While the city was growing, so did the Governor’s House. Daniel Boone is even said to have visited the building.
The last governor to remain in the house died in 1811 and from then on the building remained vacant. That is until in 1833 when the building was rebuilt using money sponsored by the United States government. The building was remodeled and was strongly used as Union military headquarters for the area during the Civil War.
During the early 1900s the building was used as a spot for the local post office until a new building was later built. Over the past several decades the State of Florida in partnership with the University of Florida have preserved the building and made it available for tours.
During a visit to St. Augustine in 2001, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain stood on the balcony of the building. In 2015, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia were also guests at the building.
Today anyone can visit the house as the first floor has been dedicated as a museum to its historical past. For more information about visiting the Government House be sure to visit http://staugustine.ufl.edu/govHouse.html.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!