At Chattahoochee River Landing stands the last of seven Indian Mounds constructed during the Fort Walton Period of 1450-1650 AD. These mounds were built by Native Americans in the area and were used for building dwellings on high ground to prevent being washed out in the event of the river flooding.
Only four of seven mounds have been found nearby with this one being the last standing. These mounds would have been constructed in a pyramid type shape with a flat top. The high surface was also suitable for a look out perch. It is believed that the chief or priest would have lived at the top while others lived around or at the base. This location would have been great for Native Americans as it was located near the river that would allow them to travel, hunt and trade with other nearby tribes.
When Spanish explorers began navigating through the area in 1674 the Native Americans abandoned this site. With the Old Spanish Trail passing right through this spot the mound became an important stop along the route. During the War of 1812, the British used the mound for their fort.
On November 30, 1817 the Scott Massacre took place at this site and is noted for being a significant battle during the First Seminole War.
During the mid to late 1800s, paddlewheel boats were docked at the landing and several wrecks are still nearby. Today the mounds are remembered for their significance in local Native American history and culture.
The mound stands on the banks of the Apalachicola River just south of the city of Chattahoochee, Florida and the Jim Woodruff Dam that creates Lake Seminole. The mound is free to visit and offers for some interesting history and beautiful views.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!