Located in the historic district of Pensacola, Plaza Ferdinand VII was named for the King of Spain during the early 1800s. It was during this time that Spain had control of the city until 1821. During that year the ceremonial transfer of ownership of Florida from Spain to the United States took place right here in this plaza.
It was on this site that on July 17, 1821 that Andrew Jackson was sworn in as Territorial Governor. During the ceremony the Spanish flag was lowered while an American flag was raised. Jackson gave an informative speech to the people of the community and declared that Pensacola was now a part of the Florida Territory while naming it the capital. Thus this park has been a place that is noted for its historical significance in regards to the admission of the Florida Territory to a part of the United States.
To continue reading about Andrew Jackson’s visit to Pensacola, visit https://adventureswithvioletsky.com/2020/09/20/andrew-jackson-statue/.
A promoter of Pensacola, politician and railroad executive, William Dudley Chipley has been honored in this memorial for his contribution to the city. For more information about William Dudley Chipley please visit, https://adventureswithvioletsky.com/2020/10/03/statue-of-william-dudley-chipley/.
As all of these locations are in Plaza Ferdinand, there is much to see in the downtown area of Pensacola.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!