It was on this site that on July 17, 1821 that Andrew Jackson was sworn in as Territorial Governor. During the ceremony the Spanish flag was lowered while an American flag was raised. During the event, Jackson gave an informative speech to the people of the community and declared that Pensacola was now a part of the Florida Territory while naming it the capital. Thus this park has been a place that is noted for its historical significance in regards to the admission of the Florida Territory to a part of the United States.
In 1935, the bust of Andrew Jackson was placed in Plaza Ferdinand VII. It was precisely placed based on historical documents in the spot that he stood while being inaugurated as territorial governor of Florida Territory.
The declaration came about after the passage of the Adams-Onis Treaty that was signed in 1819. In the treaty it is was determined that Spain would cede the land known today as Florida to the United States.
You will find the statue in Plaza Ferdinand VII right nearby downtown Pensacola. The statue is near the corner of the park by S. Palafox Street and E. Zarragossa Street.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!