With sparkling blue water spewing from detailed cast iron resembling Greek mythical characters, downtown Montgomery is blessed with this fountains historic charm. The Court Square Fountain has been a centerpiece for this area of downtown Montgomery for over a century.
History of Court Square Fountain
The land beneath the fountain was once used as a water source being that it was the sprout of an artisan well. Native Americans in the area used this spot as a place to collect drinking water.
Later as settlers began to develop what is now downtown Montgomery, they also grew to rely on the well which produced two gallons per minute. Placed in this spot in 1885, Court Square Fountain has stood 25 feet into the Alabama sky as an icon of the historic area.
Visiting Court Square Fountain
Below is a map detailing the location of the fountain. It is located in the intersection of Commerce Street, Court Street and Dexter Avenue.
The fountain is free to visit, visitors only have to pay for parking which is metered. Be careful when crossing the street to access the fountain as traffic does move around the roundabout.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’!